Michael Jackson Death Hoax Investigators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?

+8
LiberianGirl
truthseeker
everlastinglove_MJ
fordtocarr
Sarahli
MJFAN7
Souza81
heisinme09
12 posters

Go down

WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?  Empty WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?

Post by heisinme09 Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 pm

From MTV.COM.....in their article about the Glee Thriller Cover......scroll down toward the bottom of the article (which is now outdated since the episode has now aired)....
has this ever been mentioned on the Forum before now? I FIND IT EXTREMELY INTERESTING AND HOAX FILLED!!!!!
********************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1657395/glee-thriller.jhtml

Michael Jackson's 'Thriller': Story Behind The 'Glee' CoverMJ classic is mashed up with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' 'Heads Will Roll' for post-Super Bowl episode.
By Aly Semigran

Madonna, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and now, finally, Michael Jackson. The cast of "Glee" has covered plenty of icons during their first two seasons, but it's taken 33 episodes to get around to the King of Pop.

With a huge catalog of Jackson songs, the singing, dancing students of McKinley High paid homage to the late singer with one of his biggest staples (and, arguably, the greatest music video of all time) with their take on "Thriller."

The groundbreaking single from Jackson's best-selling album of the same name was mashed up with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Heads Will Roll" for the post-Super Bowl episode (titled "The Sue Sylvester Bowl Shuffle"), featuring a zombie-fied "Glee" cast.

Bound to become a smash all over again (though with its nonstop rotation at Halloween parties and wedding receptions until the end of time, it's never truly gone away), here's a brief history of the dance/pop classic.

Released on January 23, 1984, "Thriller" was the seventh, and final, single to be released from Jackson's smash record. According to the RIAA, the album (released by Epic Records) has gone gold 29 times, narrowly edging out the Eagles' Greatest Hits 1971-1975 for the title of best-selling album of all time.

In 2009, MTV News estimated that the Thriller album was poised to go triple diamond, meaning 30 million records sold in the U.S. alone.

After Thriller's other singles (including "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and "Wanna Be Startin' Something") dominated the charts, it was time for the spooky, undeniably original track to take over. The song "Thriller" also appeared on many of Jackson's other albums, including the compilations HIStory and Number Ones.

Clocking in at a little under six minutes (though the radio edit was closer to four-and-a-half), the song features pop-music mainstays like synthesizers but shakes things up with its spooky sound effects, including creaking floors, howling and thunder.

The song was produced by Quincy Jones and written and composed by Rod Tempterton and spent 14 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #4.

But it's the music video for "Thriller" that truly made it the phenomenon it was in the '80s and continues to be today. Less a music video than a mini-motion picture, the video (over 13 minutes long and directed by John Landis) won three MTV Video Music Awards and has been named the best music video of all time by many outlets, including VH1 for the special "VH1: 100 Greatest Videos."

The chiller features Jackson in that iconic red leather jacket on a date with his girlfriend (played by Ola Ray) before things go terribly awry. After all, as Jackson (whose disclaimer at the start of the video reads, "This film in no way endorses a belief in the occult") sings in the opening line, "It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark." Cue werewolves, zombies, Vincent Price's soliloquy and one of the most memorable dance sequences ever.

The video was (no pun intended) a monster hit. As the Los Angeles Times notes, "At the height of the song's popularity, MTV would run the 14-minute 'Thriller' video twice an hour."

Choreographed by Jackson and Michael Peters (who, as the LA Times also reported, appears in the video as one of the zombies) and with makeup by Oscar-winner Rick Baker (also an undead "Thriller" extra) was made with a huge budget of an estimated $500,000.

Still, the efforts paid off. Landis (who told the "Today" show back in 2009 that no one wanted to give them the funds to make the risky vid) made the accompanying 45-minute documentary about the venture, called "The Making of Thriller." Featuring the behind-the-scenes wizardry, as well as the music video in full, it would go on to move more than 10 million copies.

Since then, the signature song and video have seen their share fair of tributes in movies (notably in the 2004 comedy"13 Going on 30") and TV ("South Park," "Family Guy," "30 Rock," among others), not to mention the countless flash mobs that have gone viral. (Remember the prisoners in the Philippines who became overnight phenomenons on YouTube?)

Even with the "Glee" number, this likely won't be the last incarnation of "Thriller." Billboard reported in October that a "Thriller" film is in the works. With a plot allegedly revolving around Price's narration, Kenny Ortega, who directed Jackson's last effort, "This Is It," will reportedly helm the project.

Since Jackson's untimely passing on June 25, 2009, the song and video's legacy continue to live on. In the week following Jackson's death, "Thriller" was the best-selling track in the U.S., with sales of 167,000 copies on the Billboard Hot Digital Singles chart.

Then, in December 2009, "Thriller" was the first music video to ever be inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress. It seems "no mere mortal can resist ... the thriller" after all.

heisinme09
heisinme09

Aantal berichten : 5
Registratiedatum : 2011-02-06

Back to top Go down

WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?  Empty Re: WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?

Post by Souza81 Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

We can't wait Kenny!
Souza81
Admin
Admin

Aantal berichten : 259
Registratiedatum : 2009-07-28
Leeftijd : 43

https://mjkit.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?  Empty Re: WHAT? Is THIS What Kenny Is Up To Next?

Post by MJFAN7 Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Wow!! Interesting!! Wink
MJFAN7
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Aantal berichten : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by heisinme09 Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Even with the "Glee" number, this likely won't be the last incarnation of "Thriller." Billboard reported in October that a "Thriller" film is in the works. With a plot allegedly revolving around Price's narration, Kenny Ortega, who directed Jackson's last effort, "This Is It," will reportedly helm the project.

With this in mind....again, here are the lyrics to Price's Thriller Rap....so this is the basis for the plot of Kenny's next movie? Hmmmmmm......thoughts, folks?

Rap:(by Vincent Price)

Darkness falls across the land
The midnight hour is close at hand
Creatures crawl in search of blood
To terrorize y’awl’s neighborhood
And whosoever shall be found
Without the soul for getting down
Must stand and face the hounds of hell
And rot inside a corpse’s shell
The foulest stench is in the air
The funk of forty thousand years
And grizzly ghouls from every tomb
Are closing in to seal your doom
And though you fight to stay alive
Your body starts to shiver
For no mere mortal can resist
The evil of the thriller
(laughter)
heisinme09
heisinme09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarahli Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm

"Thriller 2"
Sarahli
Sarahli

Aantal berichten : 6
Registratiedatum : 2011-02-07
Leeftijd : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by fordtocarr Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeah it's odd though...because Michael tried to stop some of that Thriller stuff and even said "no, no more Thriller". I know he regretted it from what I've read, because it put his beliefs on the line ultimately, but he did continue to use it even up into TII.
fordtocarr
fordtocarr
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Aantal berichten : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by everlastinglove_MJ Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes interesting indeed. Thanks for posting.
I found this article in addition (may be already posted in MJHDI).

Kenny Ortega Says 'Thriller' Inspired Film Not Happening Soon
Published on November 1, 2010
Written by: Ethan Anderton Next Skip to Responses Prev
Just last week we told you about a developing project that would have director Kenny Ortega (This Is It, High School Musical) at the helm of a film inspired by Michael Jackson's hit song and innovative music video Thriller. Well, EW has gotten word from Ortega himself that the proposed project is far from a sure thing and it's still very much in the infant stages of development. Though plot details were scarce, the story was said to focus on the folklore of the song and involves Vincent Price (who provides infamous voiceover and evil laughter in the song) and the town in which the master of horror grew up. Find out what he had to say below!
Apparently Deadline might have gotten a little ahead of themselves in their reporting since Ortega says, "It got put out there before I’ve even really had a chance to think about it too much. It is still in very, very early stages of development. The [Michael Jackson] estate would have to sign off on it. I have been a part of some early creative meetings and if all goes well, I think it could happen in the next couple of years.”

As far as tackling much beloved subject matter, Ortega isn't worried. The director says, "Michael [Jackson] used to say to me that there is nothing to be afraid of and fear just gets in the way anyway. We were very good friends. I miss him. And I would never do anything to ruin his memory or one of his creations. But like I said, it is so early, so who knows what will materialize?” So there you have it. No need to worry just yet, but if this project ever comes to fruition, it will certainly have a lot to live up to. Stay tuned! http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/kenny-ortega-says-thriller-inspired-film-not-happening-soon/

IOW the Thriller project is put on hold, Kenny and Michael want to experience the making of Thriller together in the next couple of years. So there's no rush, first the trial and the BAM. It has all been planned.

L.O.V.E.
everlastinglove_MJ
everlastinglove_MJ

Aantal berichten : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by truthseeker Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:30 pm

There is no doubt that something epic is coming this summer......I suspect that Criss Angel's tweet
is correct when he says:

@crissangel Criss Angel
THE REVOLUTION IS COMING SUMMER 2011. Clues to follow in the coming weeks...
truthseeker
truthseeker

Back to top Go down

Post by LiberianGirl Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:00 pm

truthseeker wrote:There is no doubt that something epic is coming this summer......I suspect that Criss Angel's tweet
is correct when he says:

@crissangel Criss Angel
THE REVOLUTION IS COMING SUMMER 2011. Clues to follow in the coming weeks...

Totally agree. Michael is going to blow our minds soon. Cool
LiberianGirl
LiberianGirl
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aantal berichten : 178
Registratiedatum : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by runfayalife Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Totally agree. Michael is going to blow our minds soon. Cool

When you think about it ....he already has.

runfayalife

Aantal berichten : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by bec Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Omg. All I have to say is Old News.

LOL!!

Posted February 22, 2010: http://exploringthehoax.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/michael-jackson-is-the-thriller-can-you-dig-it/

Lots of articles and links. Thriller II has been talked about since 2008 from what I can tell.

Kenny being involved in it is new however... and kind of links the obvious doesn't it?

Wonderful development sunny
bec
bec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aantal berichten : 167
Registratiedatum : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SoldierofLOVE Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 am

From moviesonline...

Q: Shouldn’t he have done movie musicals?

KO: Yeah, we were going to do a couple of films. Before we even knew that we were going to do This Is It, Michael and I were already in the early development stages in talking about doing a Legs Diamond musical and a full length 3-D Thriller motion picture. Michael was not intending to resign from the business. He wasn’t retiring. However, this was what he was calling his final curtain call for live touring. What he thought was he’ll do the 50 shows in London and then he really said, ‘If it works and I still feel good and I still have the energy, I would love to go to Africa. I would love to go to India. I would love to go to Japan.’ Travis (Payne) and I saw it. Michael was intending to go out there with his children and see the whole rest of the world, share that experience with them, meet the fans, take one more grand bow and then he wanted to pull the plug on his live performing because he said, ‘I don’t want to be out there doing it when I can’t do it with the integrity that I’m known for. However, let’s make movies and great albums and develop projects together.’ So he was excited about so much. He had so much more in him still.
SoldierofLOVE
SoldierofLOVE

Aantal berichten : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by maria-c Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:00 pm

who directed Jackson's last effort, "This Is It,"

I do not think so
maria-c
maria-c
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aantal berichten : 187
Registratiedatum : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MJFAN7 Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:46 pm

^

I agree! "Last effort" yeah right! Ha!
MJFAN7
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Aantal berichten : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down